These quotes come from superstar athletes, athletes, and coaches, but also from fitness experts and perhaps less celebrated but inspiring people. You will notice that, even if they are motivational sports phrases of different people.
There is something in common in all of them, and it is precisely the way they express themselves about willpower and determination, as essential factors to overcome the obstacles that life presents us in the path.
We hope that when reading them you feel motivated and above all, with great enthusiasm. Here we go! Enjoy it!
50 motivational sports quotes by famous sportsmen
“Don’t ask yourself what your colleagues can do for you, ask yourself what you can do for your colleagues.”
– “Magic” Johnson, former basketball player.
2. “You have to expect things from yourself before you can do them.”
– Michael Jordan: one of the best basketball players in history.
3. “Age is not a barrier. It is a limitation that you put in your mind.”
– Jackie Joyner-Kersee: Olympic champion in the heptathlon.
4. “Hard work surpasses talent when talent does not work hard.”
– Tim Notke: High School Basketball Coach.
5. “Do not measure yourself by what you have achieved, but by what you should have achieved with your ability.”
– John Wooden: known as The Wizard of Westwood. He won 10 NCAA titles in 12 years as head coach of the University of California basketball team, known by its acronym UCLA.
6. “Champions are not made in gyms. Champions are made of something they have deep within them: desire, a dream and a vision.
-” Muhammad Ali, one of the best boxers ever.
7. “Never give up! Failure and rejection are just the first step to success.”
– Jim Valvano: American college basketball player, coach, and broadcaster.
8. “Champions keep playing until they do well.”
– Billie Jean King: A great tennis player and women’s rights activist.
9. “Every day you must choose, the pain of discipline or the pain of repentance.”
– Eric Mangini: an American football coach. He was a coach in the NFL.
10. “The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can imagine the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe it 100 percent.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger: bodybuilder-turned-movie star and governor.
11. “Soccer is the most beautiful and healthy sport that exists in the world. There is no doubt in anyone’s mind. Because one is wrong, one does not have to pay for soccer. I was wrong and I paid. The ball does not stain.
– ” Diego Armando Maradona, for many, the best soccer player who has seen his eyes.
12. “The more I train, the luckier I am.”
– Gary Player: South African golfer considered one of the best of his era.
13. “Believe me, the reward is not that great without the fight.”
– Wilma Rudolph: She overcame several physical difficulties, including one she had with her left leg since she was a child and became the first American woman to win three gold medals in an Olympiad.
14. “If you don’t invest a lot, then defeat doesn’t hurt much and winning isn’t very exciting.”
– Dick Vermeil: Longtime NFL coach and sports announcer.
15. “I start early and stay late, day after day, year after year. It took me 17 years and 114 days to succeed from one day to the next.”
– Lionel Messi: Argentine soccer player considered to be one of the greatest of all time.
16. “No matter how good you are, how exciting is that you can be even better.”
– Tiger Woods, American golfer.
17. “An athlete cannot run with money in his pockets. He must run with hope in his heart and dreams in his head.”
– Emile Zatopek: Czech distance runner, known for winning 3 gold medals at the 1952 Olympics.
18. “There may be people who are more talented than you, but there is no excuse for anyone to be able to work more than you.”
– Derek Jeter: He has been a five-time World Series champion with the New York Yankees.
19. “You can always be better”.
– Tiger Woods: one of the most inspiring golfers of all time.
20. “To discover your true potential, you must first find your own limits and then you must have the courage to overcome them.”
– Picabo Street: former world ski champion in the world and gold medalist in the Olympics.
21. “You can’t limit something, the more you dream the farther you will go.”
– Michael Phelps, multiple times Olympic swimming champion.
22. “As long as we persevere and resist we can get what we want.”
– Mike Tyson: Heavyweight boxing champion and self-styled “the baddest man on the planet”.
23. “A champion is someone who gets up when he can’t.”
– Jack Dempsey: World Heavyweight Champion between 1919 and 1926.
24. “It all depends on the trip, not on the result.”
– Carl Lewis: Olympic star of the track and field. He won 9 gold medals.
25. “Today I will do what others will not do, so tomorrow I can achieve what others cannot.”
– Jerry Rice: Retired American footballer, considered the best receiver of all-time in the NFL.
26. “There are only two options regarding commitment. You are inside or you are outside. There is no such thing as life in the middle.”
– Pat Riley: Former player, coach and president of the Miami Heat NBA team.
27. “If you are afraid of failure, you don’t deserve to be successful.”
– Charles Barkley: He was an NBA star and dominant forward.
28. “You can’t do much in life if you only work on the days you feel good.”
– Jerry West: Former player and coach of the United States basketball team that won the gold medal at the 1960 Olympics.
29. “Believe it and it will happen.”
– Michael Strahan: Acclaimed New York Giants footballer, NFL player.
30. “You have to believe in yourself when no one else does because that will make you a winner.
– Venus Williams: professional tennis player and winner of 4 gold medals at the Olympics.
31. “No matter how good you are, how exciting is that you can be even better.”
-Tiger Woods, American golfer.
32. “Do you know what my favorite part of the game is? The opportunity to play.”
– Mike Singletary: Hall of Fame soccer player and professional coach.
33. “I believe that the good and the great are only separated by the will to sacrifice.”
– Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: retired professional basketball player, recognized for his excellence on the field of play.
34. “Life is meant to be a challenge because challenges make you grow.”
– Manny Pacquiao: renowned Filipino professional boxer and politician.
35. “Make sure your worst enemy doesn’t live between your two ears.”
– Laird Hamilton : American big wave surfer.
You may also be interested in: Funny celebrity quotes for yearbook
36. “If you think you are the best you can no longer improve, if you want to be the best you should always do it.”
– Valentino Rossi, Italian Moto GP rider and several times world champion.
37. “It is not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. It is the will to prepare to earn what matters.”
– Paul “Bear” Bryant: Won 6 championships in a 25-year career as Alabama football coach.
38. “What you lack in talent can be made up of desire, hustle, and giving 110% all the time.”
– Don Zimmer: He spent 65 years in professional baseball as a player and then as a coach.
39. “Courage does not mean you are not afraid, courage means that you do not allow fear to stop you.”
– Bethany Hamilton: Surfer champion who did not allow the loss of an arm due to a shark attack to stop her.
40. “If you can believe it, the mind can achieve it.”
– Ronnie Lott: Professional basketball player, who played 14 seasons in the NFL, and is considered to be one of the all-time best in security position in NFL history.
41. “I have failed over and over again in my life, which is why I have been successful.
Michael Jordan, a former basketball player and considered the best of all time.
42. “The secret is to believe in your dreams; in your potential that you can be a star. Keep searching, keep believing, and don’t lose faith in yourself”.
– Neymar: Popular Brazilian soccer player with dazzling skills, considered one of the best players of his generation.
43. “The will to win is important, but the will to prepare is vital.”
– Joe Paterno: The most victorious soccer coach in NCAA FBS history.
44. “A champion needs motivation beyond winning.”
– Pat Riley: President of the Miami Heat, the NBA team.
45. “If you think you can’t do it then you have no chance at all.”
– Arsène Wenger: former footballer and French coach. The manager with the most seasons at the helm of Arsenal.
46. “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” – Tim Notke
47. “If you train hard, you will not only be hard, you will be hard to beat.”
– Herschel Walker: American football player, Heisman Trophy winner, and NFL superstar.
48. “Every time you have a chance to make a difference in this world and you don’t, you are wasting time on Earth.”
– Roberto Clemente: Former player of the Pittsburgh Pirates and member of the Baseball Hall of Fame.
49. “When people are successful, it’s thanks to hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success.”
– Diego Maradona: recognized by many as a national soccer icon in the history of Argentina.
50. “What makes something special is not just what you have to gain, but what you feel there is to lose.” – Andre Agassi
I hope you enjoyed reading these sports quotes by famous sportsmen.